I hope it gets used for years to come and I'm looking forward to the challenge of making a full size one.
Tuesday, 30 September 2008
Pole lathe - Mason's Mallet
As often seems to happen, too many urgent things are conspiring to make the pole-lathe take a back seat so far this week. I hope to change that before the week is out.
I like to make useful things. So I was delighted recently when Will, one of the stonemasons at the Weald and Downland Museum asked me to make him a mallet to use with his chisels.
Having some cherry with me I decided to make a 1/2 sized mallet as the head of a full size one is 6 inches and it would need a separate handle knocked in. This turned out very well, if I say so myself, and as Will actually wanted to use it with smaller chisels was a good size to choose.
To my delight Will started using it immediately and his stone carving is impressive as you can see.
I hope it gets used for years to come and I'm looking forward to the challenge of making a full size one.
I hope it gets used for years to come and I'm looking forward to the challenge of making a full size one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Love your blog, fascinating stuff, keep it coming!!
Post a Comment