Tuesday, 25 November 2008

Apple - The Wonder of Howgate


We have 4 apple trees squeezed into our tiny garden. The youngest of which is an Howgate Wonder which is now starting to produce a crop of large (easily over 6 inch) red apples which can stay on the tree until December.

Originating from the Isle of Wight in 1915 the Howgate Wonder is normally described as a cooking apple. But if you like a cooking apple which is inedible raw and rapidly cooks down to a mush, the Howgate Wonder would be a disappointment for you. In fact its a very versatile apple, initially a cooker, by November its also a good eater and when cooked it holds its shape well, something that I prefer. Apparently it also juices well, although we've not had enough to try it yet. But I did add a couple to the perry I made last year. The apples withstand frost and stay on the tree well after everything else has fallen, they are good keepers right through the winter.


The only problem with leaving them on the tree is that they get noticed. They catch the attention of lots of our neighbours, who regularly ask me 'What are the enormous apples' and before long the birds are also tucking into a feast. I've taken all of the apples off the tree now because we have one blackbird that's making the apples a regular treat. But I've left one for the birds.

We now have a crate of apples stored in a vegbox crate individually wrapped in newspaper, which means that I can make my favourite apple crumble whenever I like.


My favourite recipe is a double crumble! I use about 200g plain flour, 150g soft brown sugar and 150g of butter(warm) that I mix with my fingers (add a teaspoon of cinnamon if you like). Core, peel and roughly chop one large or two smaller apples, place in a pie dish, add a handful of raisins if you like and sprinkle the crumble mix on top. Adjust the amount of apple or crumble mix you use to suit your dish. Cook for around 30minutes at about gasmark 6ish and enjoy. Definitely comfort food and good for breakfast as well!


No comments: