Saturday, 10 January 2009

Lynchmere Common - Frosty walk


The temperature was about -8 degress Centigrade on Friday night and its been that way for some days. Unusually the weather is calm with no wind. Despite frozen fingers and toes I took my camera on the commons as the ground has frozen hard and the frost built up on the trees.



This beautiful multi-stemmed birch becomes more prominent in this weather




The visibility was poor, but the faint mist added an ethereal atmosphere to the walk.



Trees that wouldn't normally have caught my attention stand out strikingly




and the shape of the canopy is accentuated.



By the time I finished taking photos I could barely feel my fingers and had taken a lot more photos than I can fit in here.


Very delicate and characteristic icicle formations on the twigs. I don't remember seeing frost do this before.

As I am writing this and uploading the photos, the wind and rain has arrived at Gale force from the atlantic, the frost has gone and the temperature has risen to +9 degrees Centigrade.

2 comments:

Robin Fawcett said...

Great pictures Mark - I was really annoyed as we went out that day and I didn't take the camera.
The last time I remember this happening was thirteen years ago. We went to Chelmsford to visit a newborn niece and she is now 13!

Woodland Antics said...

Hi Robin,

thanks for your kind comments. I'm sure my pictures don't really do justice to the scenery. Like you say, we've not really seen a proper winter for a while & have got out of the habit. Amazing how time flies.