First published on http://woodlandantics.wordpress.com where I will post the latest articles. I will continue to update this site as and when for a while yet.
On our recent visit to the Norfolk coast we stayed enroute in the Breckland village of Thompson. Alison has family connections there so we explored around and about poking into corners that she had not been to for a while. The church is impressive, mainly because it’s quite original inside and not prettied up like most. I expect I should have been admiring the ecclesiastical features but I was entranced by the roof beams in plain view
The green men in the stonework. There are 3 one appears to have oak leaves, one ash-like and one might be maple/sycamore.
and most of all the old chests at the back of the church. This one seems to have a solid piece of tree for a lid
Whilst this one looks as if it might bave been hewn from a single butt of a tree. It has outlasted the metalwork fashioned to restrain it,
with fantastic grain and patterns in the ancient wood. I couldn’t help wondering how long these chests have been here and all of the history that they have witnessed, for hundreds of years growing as trees and then for even more hundreds of years after being felled to be filled with yet more history.
I think you might have to call this a trunk rather than a chest?







No comments:
Post a Comment