Sunday, 16 November 2008

Woodstack with Central Heating



Could this be the World's first centrally heated firewood stack?No I've not gone mad. At least I don't think I'm any worse than usual. But my firewood is a lot worse. It's still quite damp. Partly due to the consistently damp weather but also because I don't have anywhere under cover for a large stack of firewood.


At this time of year its too late to build a firewood stack outdoors - especially with birch - it won't dry out and will quickly go mouldy.

We use firewood to heat our house during the winter so we can get through a lot of firewood. There is an open fire in the lounge although we only use it occasionally and a wood burner (hunter herald) in the front room which I light every morning and every evening.


I want the firewood to be as dry as possible before I burn it to limit the amount of tar deposited in the chimney. So as an experiment I decided to stack some damp firewood around an old oil drum too full of holes to be used as a charcoal bin. Then I lit a fire in the bin as I normally would do to make charcoal.




This seemed to work quite well and I left the wood to dry whilst getting on with other things. Then it occurred to me that I could probably complete the stack and cover over the top. This worked surprisingly well and although I didn't leave it for long enough it was driving off all of the moisture in the wood, as well as in my gloves, strops and ropes that I piled on top for good measure.



The only disadvantage I've discovered so far is a slight smokey smell to the wood for a couple of days following the drying process. I piled beech and oak over the top as birch is much lighter and would have smouldered and probably caught fire.


By the time I had loaded the landrover with smokey but warm firewood it was dark. The full moon came out briefly just as it rose through the trees.





1 comment:

JRC said...

That is a very interesting drying technique. I had a wood-burning heater installed late this summer (I live in the Alaska bush) and then had to cut wood to feed the thing. My son and I put up 1+ cord, or about 4 steres (cubic meters). There is enough downed wood on my land to heat for many winters. But the timing was wrong, and the wood is either (1) green (2) wet or (3) both. Bitterly learned lesson: cut and stack in spring. let it dry under cover in summer. However, you have, perhaps, a viable alternative or emergency drying method. I have bookmarked this site, I assure you!