Wednesday, 11 February 2009

Polelathe - and Sussex Pond Puddings



When I started this site (forgive me - I don't like the term 'blog') I thought it would be an endless stream of short bits and pieces related to polelathe turning and greenwood working. At the moment it's turning out to be a little different in nature.

Probably inevitable at this time of the year. Demand for polelathe products is at its lowest and there is a lot of work to be completed in the woods before the spring. It's always been like this, Traditionally winter was the time for working the woods and coppices while the spring and summer were used for making the products from the wood.

Another factor is that I took down the pole lathe normally mounted in the shed to use for a training session. In its place something else seems to be appearing. I say something else, as it's not yet entirely clear to me how its going to end up.



I want to fix problems stemming from the lightweight nature of the polelathe 2000 design for good and put in a spindle lathe that can be developed to turn bowls satisfactorily - in due course. At the moment I can spend an hour or two on it at a time, as I squeeze it in between other jobs and yet more landrover repairs.

The shed is an open fronted cartshed at the bottom of a neighbours garden. It's actually marked upon the first series ordnance survey map, although from the state of the corrugated iron and poles it's been rebuild incessently over the intervening time. Apparently it really was used as a cartshed housing the wagons for the local carter, whilst the other shed here was the stables. Shedheads love it. I have made the current interior of benches, cupboards and shelves entirely from pine planks salvaged from the common and milled using my chainsaw mill.


The temperature in the shed during the day has been between 2 and 4 degrees (centigrade that is) consistently for weeks now which also limits my ability to get useful work done.

But on a warmer theme and to forestall managing a whole piece on polelathes. Last week I was introduced to another tradition and a local delicacy, Sussex Pond Pudding, by my neighbour who quite aptly happens to be our pond warden.


It's a classic English steamed suet pudding with treacle and lemon - apparently the originals were baked around a whole lemon - and when cut open the juice escaped to form a pond around the pud, hence the name. Quite delicious in the winter.

I hope to get the new lathe into use inthe next few days, as I am suffering withdrawal symptoms, not to mention being behind on a number of commissions. But I have yet to work out how I will do the metal work.

No comments: