Sunday, 1 February 2009

Polelathe - Having a go


As a rule I'm not very keen on teaching polelathe turning, as there a quite a few good teachers offering courses in the South East. I prefer to concentrate upon improving my own skills and products.

But there are exceptions. One of these is to spend a day with the students on the Practical Habitat Management course at Merrist Wood College.






The aim for the day is to allow students on the course to get the feel of working with greenwood and go through the process of cleeving, shaving and turning.

I've found that having a go and making something gives you an entirely different perspective and appreciation of the skills involved from reading about it or even watching it.



With two lathes at the college, two of my lathes and one that Andrea built on last years day we managed to get five lathes working, well four and a half at least. Working in inside we had to rig temporary bungees (I rarely use them), and overcome several teething problems with lathes and tools but it's all a part of a very intensive day. There is a lot to fit in and I could spend a whole day on just sharpening tools, but fitted it into lunch instead.

We managed to make a range of items including candlesticks, stool legs and a replacement spindle for Steve's Ercol chair. Hopefully another chair rescued for generations to come.

I've always been encouraged by the amount of interest and enthusiasm that is generated on the day. I know from my own experience that sometimes it's all that's needed to provide the confidence to go ahead and build a lathe, or perhaps a shave horse.

Even for those that don't do on to do more, I reckon that these opportunities are a key raising the profile of polelathe turning, and other greenwood crafts, especially amongst those who are likely to be going into conservation and countryside industries.


No comments: