A chance encounter at the recent Burley cider pressing weekend led to a couple of interesting photos.

Apparently the owner of this candlestick grew up and lived for many years in Buckleberry Green and remembers the Lailey workshop * in the village. He thought he had something made by George Lailey in the attic and said he would look it out when he got home. The photo is on an A4 sheet of paper which gives some scale to it.

This photo of the underside shows the characteristic signature and is dated 1946. I have heard of and seen his bowls but I've not before seen a candlestick. Is this a common Lailey item? How and why did he make candlesticks? After this chance encounter I am left with more questions than answers.
*Edit - In reading this post I notice that it's not very self explanatory. George Lailey was the last in a long line of bowl turners who worked from their shed workshop on Buckleberry common between Newbury and Reading. H.V.Morton in his eponymous (oooh I've wanted to use this word gratuitously for ages!) work in search of England (1927) recalls a meeting with William Lailey at the workshop and includes a description of both the polelathe and the bowls. George Lailey worked until shortly before his death in 1959 and his tools are now in the collection at the Reading Museum of English Rural Life.

3 comments:
I don't think many old, wooden candlesticks survive - I've seen some that have been left to burn right down and they look a bit charred!
Why don't you post this on the Bodger's and see if you get any response ?
Hi Robin,
thanks for your reply, it's the first one I've seen but that's not saying a lot. I meant to post a link on the Bodgers but I was late and everything got a bit chaotic before we left - will do so when I get back. In the event I just grabbed spoons, knives and laptop and ran. This comment - if it makes it through the ether - comes via a new dongle toy, but it's slow from the outer reaches of Norfolk.
Yes we've brought our new dongle toy up to North Yorkshire with us.
Any problems with yours?
Post a Comment