Saturday, 28 November 2009

The Candlestick maker.....reprise





I posted a couple of weeks ago on the chance encounter at the Burley Cider pressing weekend that led to a discussion of George Lailey and his workshop at Buckleberry green in Berkshire. The Butcher, the Baker.......the Candlestick maker? here. When I got back from Norfolk I found a small package awaiting me.

I am very grateful to Tony and Sheila Jacobs for sending me this George Lailey candleholder. I am used to seeing and hearing of Lailey bowls but had not stopped to think that the family might have made quite a range of items. In these highly specialised days of manufacturing and production lines , brain surgeons and rocket science, it's very easy to interpret the past with our own values and experiences. How wide was their range of products? I am not an expert in either bowls or candleholders - is anyone aware of other Lailey candleholders? Or similar turned candleholders from other turners? If so, is this one typical of the type? I'd like to know as much as I can about this little wooden candleholder.




The bowl of the holder is about 5 inches in diameter with a roughly carved 3 inch handle. It's interesting that only the bowl and the base have been turned. The edge of the holder has only been roughed at best, probably to avoid the section with the handle on it.

I suspect that the holder is made using an offcut from the bowl turning, maybe with the stub of a branch on it that made it relatively easy to make into a candleholder? Much in the same way as I use odds and ends to make light pulls, door knobs or other small items rather than waste partly processed good wood.




Apparently Tony acquired it whilst living in Buckleberry where he grew up, almost next to the Lailey workshop, most likely in 1946, as they moved in 1947. The date on the base, partly obscured by what appear to be 4 mandrel spike markings appears to be 1946. It seems clear that the spelling of the name is Laily, whereas references (for example Edlin ) typically spell it Lailey?




I aim to make at least one copy of this candleholder before too long, so I will be looking for suitable wood. I guess elm is a good choice as would oak, as they will smoulder and char rather than catch light?



No comments: