Today was a spring in the air day so it was good to be out doing things amonst the trees. I spotted the moon peering down through the birch canopy in the wan sunlight.
In the restored heathland areas fallen trees will enrich the soil and encourage more competitive non-heathland plants to invade. So here we take as much as possible away, but on the edges of the woodland its good to leave some dead or fallen trees which also increases the diversity of habit on the site.
There were a couple of straight sections from the butt with interesting rot so I threw them in the back to try turning, although they might be too knotty to be worthwhile. The rest of the timber was stacked in a neat pile to await later collection for our firewood stack next year.
The short wheelbase landrover (a 1965 SIIa) is perfect for all these jobs. I like to run it open all year without sides or window tops as its much easier to jump in and out and grab tools. As a result its very light, doesn't leave deep ruts or get stuck but I do get some strange looks in the depths of winter.

1 comment:
Why doesen't anyone make a car like that anymore? I suppose the answer is that the suburbanites wouldn't buy it. Got to have style, no ground clearance (guaranteed stuck in a 1 cm snowfall, but never mind, it looks cool). Four-wheel drive? What's that? Fix it yourself, i.e. simple? Horrors! Me, Stockbroker Sam, get grease in my fingernails? Never! I must end this rant before I get indigestion. Love your Landies.
Post a Comment