Tuesday, 3 March 2009

Polelathe - Turning a treat



More than once in the last couple of weeks I've thought that building a new lathe right now was a bad idea. There is a lot of other work to be done and polelathe jobs are stacking up as well.

So its a relief to be at the stage where I can use the new lathe.

And the good new is that it turns a treat. As you can see from the long streamers of fresh shavings its a relief to get back to work and quite addictive especially with the fresh birch I am using.



Before starting work I gave the corner of the shed a quick clean and a mass of old shavings are off to friends chicken coops.

At the moment I am using the old treadle, a temporary toolrest and a jury-rigged pole along the shed rafters, so I will need to sort these out in the next few days. But for now its enough to enjoy using a really sturdy lathe.

No comments: