Thursday, 7 May 2009

Greenwood - Broom, broom




I''ve made a few besom brooms before but never been very happy with the quality. I was able to put that right yesterday when I spent the day with Alan and Jo Waters learning to make besoms at their workshop on the West Dean estate near Chichester. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I left my camera behind so I was not able to take photos on the day, but we had a great day on the course and I learnt a lot about the harvesting and storage of the birch as well as broom-making.

Besom brooms were always made with birch from the local commons and there are photos of broom squires at work in Hammer Lane so I've been keen to start making them again in the lane for some time. Now there is a broom-squire in Hammer Lane again.

Meanwhilst, I am off to the Bodgers Ball this weekend, the annual gathering of the pole lathe turners, this year at Cusworth Hall, Doncaster.

No comments: