Monday, 18 May 2009

Minus one shed





Sheds are important. Demolishing one is not to be undertaken lightly. For one thing its taken me weeks just to empty it. Our garden is very small (lucky my office is 300 acres nowadays) but the current 8x6 is not much of a shed particularly now its dwarfed by the massive garden room the neighbour has built behind it.


Unfortunately the builders employed by the neighbour put in the footings a little close and as a result the corner of the shed has rotted through, rendering it fairly useless and it's gradually caving in as the rot spreads.



Taking it down I realised just how thin the wood is and I really don't have much use for any of it, other than as kindling for the fire at my charcoal site. As it's treated wood, more treatment than wood in fact, I won't be burning any of it indoors.



We're planning a new shed in its place. The design is still a little fluid, but most of the timber has been planked and it will replace both the existing sheds at the bottom of the garden. My first serious construction project so I'm a little worried about making a mess of it.





So today the phase one started and the first shed came down. Once it's gone I can get to work to dig out the base and lay the foundation blocks for the new one.

1 comment:

Bob Tinsley said...

A little farther from the neighbors, I hope! ;)

Bob