I was busy the week before and failed entirely to do the turning practice that I'd intended to participate in the various races or to prepare any items to put into the competitions.
It was blowing a gale on the Friday and the competition for the most sheltered locations was hotly contested. There was a large contingent from the Sussex group and the Sussex shelter was erected successfully despite the wind.
Mike Gordon even found time to enter the team log to leg race, in which three people race to make two chair legs, despite talking on the PA sustem at the same time.
I always like to see the freeform chairs, ie the wild and wacky ones (closest in the photo) as well as the more formal ones.
Alongside the chairs are also competition classes for treen, spoons and craft items of all sorts.
Quite a few people brought their lathes and some were kind enough to demonstrate and even allow us to try our hands at new techqniques.
Paul Atkins, with endless forebearance, encouraged us to have a go at bowl turning. For me it was invaluable to try a lathe and tools which are perfectly set up and I think it will solve a few of my bowl turning problems.
These lathes are based upon a round wood design, and can be made from no more than a couple of logs using fairly simple hand tools, although a chainsaw makes things a lot quicker.
But most of all I covet his wood burning stove. You can see the chimney coming through the roof of his bell tent in the background. Sean - the combination of warm stove and Island whisky was deadly - thank you!
Despite the gale, it was a great weekend. I did indeed buy too many old tools. I am inspired to keep improving my skills and be able to enter a competition item or two by next year. Even the puncture on the M1 on the way back has failed to dampen my enthusiasm, and I am already looking forwards to the next one.

2 comments:
Mark good to hear you got home safely, why you are looking forward to your next puncture I do not know! Sorry to point that out, but I have just had loads of grammar mistakes pointed out to me in my own posting by my darling wife.
The whisky was in fact from the Isle of Mull brewed in the Tobermory Distillery and is the Ledaig single malt. Just thought that you really needed to know that.
All the best Sean
Mark, you must have got there earlier than me as it was Teachers when Sean gave me some.
Mind you it was from one of Robin's silver edged laburnum mazers.
Do all the Wombles have distilleries or is Tobermory the only one?
Nice seeing you at the ball again this year. Glad you liked the balloon dog on the pole when you eventually managed to lift your eyes above the horizontal.
Cheers
Bob
Post a Comment