Not my favourite job, and you might well ask what I am doing struggling with landrover tyres when there's a perfectly good tyre centre down the road. My excuse is that I had an odd assortment of off road tyres, trailer tyres and puntures needing new innertubes. The really cold weather last winter seemed to cause a rash of slow punctures and some of the wheels needing anti-rusting and repainting which I've done over the summer in between other jobs. I have a large collection of spares that I've been using but I need to get the tyres back on whilst the weather is still warm and the rubber flexible.
In this case the tyre just needs a new tube. I already had a spare tube and it's not necessary to take the tyre off the wheel completely to replace the tube. The first job is to pop the tyre off the wheel rim, I have a tool for this handed down to me by Richard my landrover guru, but you can use wooden wedges.
Working around the tyre with a couple of levers the rubber is levered over the rim - I find it helps to stand on the tyre whilst doing the work.
You can then pull out the old tube and feed in the new one starting with locating the valve in the wheel.
Replacing the tyre is the reverse of taking it off. Isn't that what it says in the manual? Not quite. You might find you need 3 levers to get the tyre back on and it's not going to be easy unless you get the rubber well over the rim and down into the well of the wheel. Standing on the tyre is definitely needed, and some washing up liquid to lubricate the rubber and help it slide over the rim.
A fine collection of old rubber good for a few more miles this winter with any luck.

1 comment:
And a good job well done! :) This is the perfect place for a rubber joke, but it's really much more of a Landrover fetish, isn't it? *g,d&r*
Post a Comment