Friday, 30 October 2009

A load of bowls...






A comment from Paul Atkins on the Bodgers forum (a really useful resource for all those greenwood questions you didn't know you needed to ask) has prompted me to take some photos of my recent bowls - bearing in mind that my recent bowls =almost all my bowls. The bowls here are from Sycamore, Birch and spalted birch. The one bowl I made from Gean (wild cherry) was sadly stolen at the Weald Wood fair. Still something of a complement I suppose.



I foolishly made the assertion that I'd been turning 9 inch bowls using chainsaw starter cord on the lathe mandrel. In measuring the bowls I discover the largest one so far is 8.5 inches. What a dissapointment. Still it's not the size that counts. Perhaps I should measure them in cm to make them sound bigger? No, I can't bring myself to do that.


I only turn local English native woods, preferably from trees I've felled myself. It's become a bit of a thing. I'm breaking the rule at the moment as I've just rediscovered some American Black Walnut which has been lurking in the yard for around 3 years and it's still surprisingly soft and wet when turning. The wood came from Kew Gardens when I demonstrated there with the APT and they let us have some of the wood from the fantastic tree which had fallen over. Worth breaking the rule for I feel.



I hope to finish the bowl on Saturday (it's in a plastic bag overnight to prevent it dring out) but there are a lot of distractions. It will be interesting to see how the colours of the wood turn out.


1 comment:

Robin Fawcett said...

That Walnut bowl will look fabulous when you oil it.