Friday, 15 January 2010

Frozen troughs and a load of logs

First posted on http://woodlandantics.wordpress.com


Everything seems to take longer in the Big Freeze and there are unanticipated jobs to do as well. The shetland cattle that graze the Lynchmere Commons during the summer are on the adjacent meadows for the winter and during this weather they are fed hay harvested from the meadows in the summer. But in the persistent low temperatures the water feed to the troughs has frozen solid.

For the last few days I’ve been moving water to them in containers to help out the grazier. Today temperatures rose enough that I managed to unfreeze the feed using a blowtorch, so that will make things a bit easier for a while

At the same time I managed to get into the woods for the first time in a week and move a load of logs that I’d prepared before the current snow hit us.


Not a big load, but enough for the depth of snow and the slope back up the hill out of the woods. But what should have taken an hour or two took the best part of the day.

No comments: