Thursday, 7 January 2010

The journey to work took.....





.......almost all day on Wednesday! The start was a walk up the lane past the cars abandoned by those who didn't make it up the hill the night before, on my way to the barn to fetch a tractor. None of the minor roads had been gritted or ploughed - including those that are bus routes. But not much danger of a bus for a while.




It was still snowing with everything a very heavy grey as I walked up the track to the barn with snow upto my knees.




Luckily the tractors started. Winter now being on the way I decide to fit the doors to my tractor before setting off.




Giving the tractors a run had been part of the plan for the day as I had intended to move some logs. That wasn't going to happen but there were plenty of other jobs for which the tractor was now the best form of transport.




Nobody was going anywhere up on top of the hill so I visited a couple of people before heading back down where a few tractors and the odd 4x4 had been around.




I was called back up the hill a few minutes later as a large oak had just fallen across and blocked the road. Abandoned cars and trees falling during the day made the roads virtually impassable. As the A3 was still blocked this minor road was the alternative and it wasn't long before a collection of landrovers, including the army, were waiting or helping to clear the tree.

No comments: