Saturday, 14 March 2009

polelathe - pole dancing



I prefer to use a pole rather than a bungee cord when I use the lathe. Not just because it's traditional but because I find that a 16ft pole delivers a more constant force over the whole of the 3 or 4 ft of travel that I use when turning.

In the shed I was using a bungee cord because a pole got in the way. But when I recently broke the bungee cord I decided to experiment with a pole mounted along the rafters to keep it out of the way.




It's not quite as simple as strapping it to the roof as the pole needs to be free to flex. In my first attempt I used a wooden block to clamp it in the middle and a piece of rope to tension the end that protrudes from the front of the shed. But I reverted to lashing the pole as it allows the right amount of flexing along the pole. It's just right now and the pole dances lightly along the roof. I dance a little less lightly on the floor below.




2 comments:

Robin Fawcett said...

Hi Mark
Did you know that your pole or "lath" fixed to the shed roof is where the word Lathe came from?
So you've got a real one !

Woodland Antics said...

No. I've always been confused by the relationship of 'lath' to 'lathe' and couldn't work out whether its the lathe bed or the pole.

I think I prefer the pole explanation, but doesn't that make 'pole-lathe' tautology?

cheers

Mark