Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Greenwood - A new display table






I tried to resuscitate my display table once more for this season, but gave up when I realised that the ravages of the winter had warped the plank and broken the sticks used as legs. So time for a new table.

I found a likely looking candidate for a new table amongst some of the strangely shaped waney edge oak boards I put away to season.

I was lucky, this one hasn't even been stacked properly, just piled on its edge but its the shape I wanted and it seems to have seasoned well to some extent.

All I had to do was give it a quick run over with a belt sander and then wipe it over with plenty of linseed oil (cut with turps substitute). The bark edge has had a coat of yacht varnish cut with white spirit to help prevent it coming off too easily.


I cut off the ends of the plank with curves that match the shape of the edges.

Then drilled holes for the legs using a 1 inch cordless drill (sorry, couldn't resist it, ok it's an augur) and a home made angle gauge to help me keep the hole angle constant (about 12 degrees in this case) which gives the legs a splay for a little more stability.










Unfortunately I'd left it a little late to make the legs, so this turned into the first job of the day at the show.

Just to get started I've used some seasoned hazel from would be broom handles and I'll get around to a more permanent set of legs in the future.







Despite the temporary legs I'm quite pleased with the finished item and it drew a few good comments during the day. It fits well with the rest of the setup and is a good background for the turned items.

I just can't bring myself to use a plastic table and gazebo, when I can make something more appropriate relatively easily with local wood rescued from the firewood pile.



No comments: