Thursday, 9 April 2009

Polelathe - The Thin End of the Wedge



I've spent most of today getting ready to spend the Easter weekend demonstrating at the Weald and Downland museum. I had great plans, but in practice I've left far too much to the last minute as usual. I did get around to preparing a few bits in advance and used some of my spalted birch to make a pair of doorstops.



The doorstops are part turned on the lathe and then returned to the shavehorse to finish the wedge. it helps to make two at a time, as it gives the shavehorse a better grip and I like to leave a section in the middle to help with this and also to keep the cord out of the way whilst I am working.


Once you have the shape and any decorations then the drawknife is used to create the wedge shape. There are two basic variations one is a wedge with a similar shape to each side, whilst the other is more of a scoop with only a slight shave along the bottom for the wedge to sit straight.


Here are the thin ends of the wedges, both spalted and plain vanilla versions, scooped and straight.

Talking of the thin end of the wedge, you will see a new button over on the left of the blog, for the Heritage Crafts Association. Did you know that until now there has been no organisation (in the UK) aimed at promoting the knowledge and craftsmanship of our tradtional crafts? It's no wonder that Wadsworths can't find a new cooper, and how will I get my 6X (thats a warm brown English beer in case you're wondering) from a wooden cask then? Somehow traditional crafts are too often seen as 'old fashioned' rather than an alternative and very much as a second best to the 'arts'. Indeed if I had a pound for every time I've heard someone say 'this is how they used to do it'.....Anyway take a look and sign up to support it if you can.

The Heritage Crafts Network

No comments: