Monday, 27 April 2009

Polelathe - Fleecy Frolics 2009


I spent the weekend demonstrating at Merrist Wood College near Guildford. These days its called the 'Merrist Wood Campus' and specialises in 'land management courses'. But it has an estate which extends over 400acres, a part of which dates back to the 14th Century, which predates the recent marketing makeover by a bit.


Somehow, despite all the points scoring systems, the college just about manages to operate a farm, for which it should be congratulated, and the show revolves around the lambing as you'd probably guess from the Fleecy Frolics name.

The show is set up and staffed by the students on the land management courses, mainly the countryside courses, some of whom are also up all night with the lambs. So for once they have an excuse for wandering around like zombies.



It's a low key affair, and not at all commercial. I like to support it because it's a great opportunity for people to get a taste of the farm, the rural crafts and to see the college at work. Hopefully it will help the local community to value the college as highly as they should do.

The weather started off dull but it gradually improved to blazing sunshine on Sunday and my pitch in the orchard was quite a sun trap by the end. The visitors were very interested, keeping me busy throughout the weekend and I spoke to several people interested in building their own lathes. In my view the more the merrier, few will be mad enough to try to earn a living from it, but by building and using their own lathes they will be spreading an awareness of the craft and local sustainable products. Building the market for those of us that are that mad enough to try to earn something vaguely resembling a living from it.



I took some beanpoles and pea-sticks since we are now in National Bean Pole week and my stocks are now running quite low.

I also got to catch up with those that were involved with the pole-lathe session I took on the countryside course back in January. ( Link to that post here ). John has already built a pole-lathe and brought along a few items he has made for us to chat over and Claire is hoping to build one over the summer - so I look forward to seeing that.









No comments: