You can upgrade the timberjig with a lightweight guide rail and two adjustable log clamps into the big mill system which allows more accurate cutting and simple raising and lowering of the rail.
I bought the top of the range M7 chainsaw mill because I was impressed with the logosol design combining lightweight, ease of assembly and use with really good quality results. Faced with a couple of large jobs I looked hard at buying a mobile bandsaw. Parking and security for the bandsaw would be a problem for me. The chainsaw mill is a fraction of the price enabling me to buy a top of the range mill and saw rather than a bottom of the range bandsaw mill.
I use the mill with a Stihl MS660 which is easily powerful enough for most jobs and I don't recommend using a relatively small saw for planking as it will be driven very hard.
This oak tabletop planked from a log using the bigmill shows how useful it can be to have a chainsaw mill. The oak was lying over a boundary bank in position where fences made it hard to extract. It might not even have been used for firewood otherwise and I like the ability to cut the wood as I choose, leaving waney edges where possible. I can later resaw to remove the edges if necessary.
But for some time I've been toying with reducing the logbed with to allow me to plank shorter logs which effectively turns it into the woodworkers mill.
By drilling 4 more holes, 3 on the support beam and one on the guiderail I can use it as a woodworkers mill and process logs in the range 4 to 8 feet in length.
Having tried it out once like this it seems likely that I will normally use it like this and only use it in the full configuration for larger jobs.

No comments:
Post a Comment