Time to make some big billets, nine of them. I am always a little cautious accepting commissions as it's my experience that the expectations of myself and the client are not always the same, particularly if it involves indoor decorative work like finials and bannisters.
But when John asked me if I could make a set of giant table skittle pins for the heritage centre at the Guildford Spike I was intrigued. Both by the job and the client. It turns out the Spike is the casual ward of the old Guildford workhouse which has somehow survived and recently been restored to its former glory - if glory is the right word. You can find out about the Spike at their website here.
With the ash logs I had available I could just about stretch to pins of 12 inches in length and 3inches wide. Not exactly mass production but it still requires some discipline to make 9 pins that look very much the same, rather different from my 'every one is unique' approach.
I knew if would be hard work and in the end it took me the best part of two days and a lot of sharpening the chisels to get them finished.
I even managed to make a few balls to go with them. I do intend to make another set , and I have a couple of rejects from the first set, as I have an idea for a garden/beach version of table skittles, but I'm all pinned out for the moment. So it will have to wait for a week or two.

1 comment:
Well done Mark. I also never usually make 2 things the same but I do want to make some skittles sometime. Perhaps this could be a new game for the Bodger's Ball ?
Re COMMISSIONS
I never do them - I just make the things I like and hope people will buy them.
Post a Comment