I'm supposed to be preparing for the New Forest Show at the moment but other things keep getting in the way as usual. I spent most of the day repairing annoying electical faults on the big red 4wd tractor we use on the commons, and as a reward I treated myself to some more bowl turning afterwards.
This is one I finished yesterday and I quite like the way its turned out, despite the faults and knots in the grain which seem to add to the character with the spalting.
I want a couple more bowls to hold small turned items on my stand next week, so I prepared a couple more blanks and hope to find enough time to turn them before I leave on Sunday for a week in the New Forest - a bit of a woodsman's holiday.
Also on the bowl turning front I managed to make a couple more handles for hooks at the show last weekend - just using up old blank billets which had dried out and were too painful to turn or had faults and had been put aside. I fit a piece of copper pipe as a ferrule and then part drill the hole into the handle before burning the handle onto the tool by heating ithe tang until it's almost red hot with a blow torch.
Here are 3 more bowl hooks awaiting a sharpen and trying out. The shorter one is intended to be used for goblets and egg cups, at least that was the plan, we'll see how it works first.

No comments:
Post a Comment