It rained a lot on Friday as a massive thunderstorm passed over and the view from my open fronted shed was impressive.
I looked in on this old fordson major which is a feature of a local woodyard. I tried to fit in my pocket to take it home with me for some TLC but failed. Clearly I need bigger pockets. I particularly liked the way the bramble is curling out of the engine compartment, but actually it's all there and a lick of paint would do it wonders.
At the same time we were experimenting again with log candles, again with Scots Pine. The first one was not too successful though the smoke kept the midges away. This one lit very easily and before long it was roaring away. From the way it caught light I can see that the resin is burning before the wood does so it's important that the log is not too old or too wet for the candle to work well.
I am away at the New Forest show all week, hence the sudden rush of posts. Hopefully Friday's storm is not an omen for the show.

2 comments:
I like the idea of the log candles. Have you tried many woods so far? I'd be interested to see how you get on.
Limited experience so far. I've seen them in germany on sale as siberian candles and they were all pine. Have seen chestnut tried with little success and heard that norway spruce worked well - I think the key is in the softwood resin. I will be doing more tests soon and will post when I do
Post a Comment