Wednesday, 26 August 2009

Battling Tops




I've dropped in this week on a 'Bodgery' on the Hampshire/Berkshire borders working on furniture projects (but more of that later).



The current issue of the Bodgers Gazette (as featured on Have I Got News For You) has an excellent article by Robin Fawcett ( aka Treewright ) on how to make Spinning Tops. Chair (& stool ) making activities were diverted for a while to discover whether Robin's instructions are foolproof.


Speaking for myself, bodgers aren't too good at following instructions. I don't think I'm atypical though. Despite initial misgivings in the design the top worked and before long it was battling tops on the kitchen floor.




Could this be the new Wii? Comes with real wood? Thanks to Treewright for stimulating this entertaining diversion and I'm sure it won't end here!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah, see, what you want for *real* battling tops is a nice shallow bowl, about 3ft across on that scale, so that the tops converge and when they hit each other - that's when the fun starts!

Robin Fawcett said...

Was the Gazette really featured on HIGNFY ??!!
Glad you had fun with the tops.

Woodland Antics said...

I've put a few of the 'tales from the woods' best of the bodgers gazette on my stand recently and one visitor asked if I'd seen it on TV. Turned out it was a repeat on some channel so I don't know when it was on originally but he seemed quite sure it was the bodgers gazette. Given the number of bodgers who don't have TV's it seems likely that we all managed to miss the event.

I think the tops are only just starting!