I thought I'd post a few more general photos from the show last week. At big shows it's only too easy to become isolated inside the showground for the duration of the show. The New Forest show is right in the middle of some very beautiful countryside and as the camping field is at the back of the ground I took the opportunity to cycle around the forest tracks between Lyndhurst and Brockenhurst and take in some of the peace and quiet of the forest.
There is plenty to see inside the showground in addition to the woodland crafts, the machinery in the old time farming area is always impressive, this threshing or 'reeding' machine as it advertised on the side was being driven by a steam traction engine.
We were delighted that Dick Apps visited us on the stand. Dick demonstrated polelathe turning at the show for decades and is one of the founder members of the APT. He showed me that he's not lost his touch.
Dick was accompanied by his son, Dick jnr, and we were treated to two generations of Apps turning at once, in Stereo you might say. Having the poles coming from the rear is definitely not as effective as in front, but the setup at the show makes it necessary. The odd doink on the head is all a part of the job. I think the neat crease in Dick's hat was there before the show?
At the Tools For Self-Reliance stand I noticed this pair of Fids for sale. I've been meaning to make some fids, which are used for splicing rope, for a while and these were a handy reminder as well as a useful pattern for me try.
Tools For Self Reliance specialise in refurbishing old hand tools in the UK and then sending them out to Africa for a new lease of life. Here is an example of a joiners toolbox prepared and ready to send out. Tools like the fids and billhooks which are of no use in Africa are sold in the UK to raise cash, but this also helps to keep these old tools in circulation as well so they are performing a valuable recycling/reuse role in the UK as well. I've certainly bought a few tools from them over the last few years and it's good to know that my spare cash is being used well.
Dave's hazel whistles were a great hit at the show, here Dave demonstrates and keeps my niece Rebecca entranced for a while at least.
It wouldn't be the New Forest Show without the Plonkers. The New Forest Plonkers that is. Happily it's not too often that I claim to have had a beer with a plonker last night.
Dave put one of his washing machine drum cum bbq's through it's paces as a campfire in the evenings. Ir works a treat and we'll be reclaiming one of ours thats currently in use as a composter to use as a campfire. I think this one went home with Alan.

No comments:
Post a Comment