Sunday, 30 August 2009

Landrover - I can't bear the Suspens(ion)

The MOT test looms. Georgina, my short wheel base (swb) 1965 landrover with the canvas tilt (rag) top has developed a saggy bottom over the last couple of years. It's only 9 years since I last changed the springs but I think some rather large loads of logs have done for them. One of the culprits is revealed. Removing the spring bolts is often a real nightmare and can involve lots of hammering, sawing and burning to extract them. This one came out too easily with half the bush still on it. The bolt and hanger will find a new life as part of a pole lathe, whilst the old springs are delivered to friendly blacksmiths for conversion to useful green woodworking tools. For her 44th birthday I've decicded to uprate her suspension. I'm fitting parabolic shaped springs rather than the original elliptical which should give better suspension. I'm also fitting gas shock absorbers to cope with the uprated suspension. Fitting the new bushes is a bit of a struggle. I use a spanner and a G-clamp to apply pressure to the bushes until I can fit the split pin. Saggy bottom removed (and then a bit) and a good wash and brush up (and anti-rust and paint) at the same time. No other nasties found at the rear but the front will likely proove a more complicated story.

No comments: