Tuesday, 1 December 2009

Nice little chainsaw




An old friend brought his chainsaw round to see me on Tuesday.



I was really pleased that he came. Not just because he brought a pristine Husqvarna 42 chainsaw, but also because some 29 years ago we were at school together in Somerset. Until we met by chance at the Weald and Downland blacksmith's show a couple of year ago I had no idea that Jules is a talented local blacksmith.

We are lucky enough to still have a number of blacksmiths in the area. Alright so I don't know the word for a group of blacksmiths, does coven seems appropriate for people that gather around a fire in dark rooms? Any better answers please on a postcard or email. Anyway, Jules currently works from his forge, a brick outhouse at his home in Dunsfold, or he will do when he's finished rebuilding it.



Jules bought the saw at least 10 years ago with the aim of providing his own firewood, but without training he was reluctant to use it. Very interesting to see this saw in pristine condition as I have only seen old and worn ones before (I have a Husqvarna 45 which has seen better days).

Even more interesting was attempting to start a saw which has not been used in at least 10 years. It was a little too much to hope it would start without some help. No sign of petrol getting through to the cylinder. Luckily Richard was around and after a little discussion we tried WD40 to aid the compression and then a tea spoon of petrol to help prime the carb - a few more pulls and it showed signs of life, and very soon it started. After a minute or so it was running very well - better than my Stihl!



There was a break in the weather so after some basic maintenance and cold starting instructions Jules and I headed onto the commons to test the saw on some firewood. At the same time Jules helped me with some voluntary work on the commons as we cleared a nasty fallen birch adjacent to a busy road.




The gap in the gale gave us just enough time to grab his first load of firewood and this photo is just to prove that I do have one Landrover on the road at the moment! Though I am down to the last one, any more problems and I will have to use the tractor to get to Sainsbury's.


No comments: