Tuesday, 22 December 2009

Ooops, that's torn it!





In old landrover land nothing is ever quite as simple as you'd hope. The suspension swap on Georgina my SWB series IIA landrover went very well at the back. Too well really. Things took a turn for the worse at the front. I knew that there were some welds to check but I wasn't expecting to find a cracked chassis. Oooops.




You can see the crack running across the bottom of the chassis leg and then straight up the box section almost to the top. Pretty soon it would just have been the spring holding it together, just as well I retired her from hard work on the commons when I bought Peter the tractor earlier this year (yes all my vehicles do have names).



I managed to fill and weld the crack up the side of the box section but the crack across the bottom of the leg stubbornly refused to go away. After a few hours of futile attempts I began to realise that I would not be happy with the repair even if I succeeded in patching it up.


So time for plan B. Giving up isn't an option as Georgina is almost a part of the family. There was talk of a replacement chassis, but I'd prefer to keep as much of her as I can, so the other possibility is to put her on the transplant list and look for a donor vehicle with a sound leg to cut off. By next week! As luck would have it, I just happen to know where there might be one, very close to home. Just outside the front door in fact......don't miss the next exciting episode of 'Zen and the art of Landrover Maintenance'.......


No comments: