It's been getting ever colder down South in West Sussex. The thermometer in the shed stayed resolutely at -1 degrees today and made it difficult to do any turning. After chopping some firewood I took my hooks and retired to in front of the stove to sharpen them. Very unusually for down here the snow is still lying. The short track on the other side of our road I use to get to the workshop at the bottom of the neighbours garden has become an ice rink. A very pretty one mind you.
Up on the commons the snow is still crisp, if not deep and even.
The low sun angle through the tangle of trees makes for a very eerie light.
Even the Robins are feeling the cold. Today we were almost mobbed by Robin's and I suspect that they are staying close to see what food we turn up as we walk through the snow and ice. Very sensible too.
The birch, the Commons and the Winter Solstice. Enough said I think.

No comments:
Post a Comment