
After the drenching on Friday the weather improved steadily through the long Easter weekend until on Monday it was hard to believe that it all started out so badly.
I used the quiet time to prepare my second display table, and learnt a little from the first prototype.
The splay on the legs is better this time and I've accentuated it by looking for some bent and attractive silver birch that I hope complements the table.

I'd also spent a little time to prepare a display for bean-poles and pea-sticks. Not knowing what to expect I treated it as an experiment and an opportunity to promote the cause.
But in the event they proved popular enough that I had to bundle a few more poles up to replenish the display.

I often get asked to make some fairly unusual things, and I enjoy trying something different.
This time it was a new ball, to replace a lost one on one of the museums medieval cup-and-ball games.

The better weather kept me at the lathe throughout Saturday, Sunday and Monday. So it was just as well I'd taken the opportunity to walk around on Friday.
My turned items were popular with the visitors. I don't keep much stock, normally a couple of each item at most. But this weekend I struggled to keep up, making dibbers, door wedges, spurtles, rounders bats and the like. By the end of Monday I was losing the battle and had quite a pile of lathe shavings to show for my endeavours.

Except for the busiest days the buildings and landscape at the museum seem to absorb the visitors and retain a sense of calm and serenity that always makes it an enjoyable experience whatever the weather.
From my pitch by the forge I can look across and see Poplar cottage at the top of the field. I'd not be honest though if I didn't admit that my favourite time is a still evening as the shadows lengthen and quiet descends once again.

By the end of Monday I was quite tired and feeling the effects of the long hours. But then it was time to pack up. It takes just under two hours of steady work to pack up and I was about the last to leave the museum - just as the gates were locked. But it's always a good show when you get to pack up in the dry.
1 comment:
The bilboquets look good Mark.
I make a 'spike' and ball - a lot quicker to make and harder to catch the ball on the spike.
Post a Comment