I'm in a dilemma. I wanted this blog to be about my greenwood working and other crafts with occasional interjections from my other activities like repairing and restoring old English cars, particularly my Landrovers, which I rely on a lot in my work as a woodsman and woodturner.
But I also want the blog to reflect what I am actually doing and for the last few weeks it feels as if I have suddenly and unwelcomely had a new full time job - restoring the old(ish) Range Rover we call Vicky. I have reservations writing about her, she doesn't really fit in the woods and she's the youngster in my collection, a mere 22 years old, whereas the landrover I use on a daily basis will be 50 next year. Yes I am planning a party!
I knew that taking on a middle aged Range Rover was always going to mean learning a lot, I just didn't realise that I would need to learn it all in one go. I'm beginning to wonder why I bought it? Ooops, except of course I didn't buy it - which explains a lot as I am always a sucker for an old Landrover looking for a home.
In an attempt to get Vicky out of the shed after lurking there for a year, I've been working more or less full time on it since getting back from Norfolk. Things have not gone too well with plenty of setbacks, the amount of work that's gone into it is frightening and I shudder to think of the cost. But I finally managed to get it out of the shed which was empty for just long enough to sweep the leaves, dust and debris from the floor before....
the space was filled by Brenda, John's mini (Carol's to be exact), which found itself in Haslemere recently and needing some work - as a result of her advances being violently rejected by a Volkswagon.
So I apologise if the wood content of this blog is temporarily reduced. It will be restored before long as there is a limit to how long I can afford to work on the cars - and the pressure to complete various woody projects is building fast.

5 comments:
Hi Mark,
Tis the way of the world, one can never stop the ‘projects’ coming in once you start! Mind you if you’re getting the same weather as here in North Wales you’re better off in the garage.
Regards,
John
Thanks for the encouragement - yes it's been very wet. Still very wet, though I dount we've had as much rain as you,
cheers
Mark
When you've finished Brenda can I bring my old series 3 so you can sort the front brakes out! She's been sitting for two years now and I keep promising to get her sorted out and back on the road...it's just time, and a willingness to scrape fingers, struggle, swear, sweat and ache...and you seem to be able to manage all those things very well!
good luck
Andy
Well I always thought that SIII's work particularly well on the drive, and they don't leave much in the way of droppings. Good sheds. I think it's called 'drive art'.
More seriously, is it a SWB or a LWB? What's up with them? SWB is easier than LWB (LWB rears can be very, very hard to adjust) and if the rear brakes are working well enough then sorting out the front should not be too hard - you're right it's all about motivation. And some blood to go with the sweat and tears. We have a red Series III Lwb right in front of the house, that is a temporary shed and then will become a log trailer in the woods.
You'd be very welcome to bring it down to the yard - but I think it's just a little too far.
Hi Mark,
Saw what you have done to "Vicky...." funny name for a range Rover. Excellent job. Note sure if I would have done the same
Cheers
Victor
Post a Comment