With the weather taking a turn for the worse working in the open fronted cart shed I use has become distinctly chilly, not to say numbing. The thermometer stubbornly refused to rise above zero all day earlier in the week and with a dose of snow promised it's time for operation 'instant stove'.
I've had an old stainless steel nitrokeg beer barrel saved for just this purpose but not got around to making a stove from it. Fixing a stove pipe on needed a bit more scavenging but I found an old ford transit propshaft and cut the ends off to fit into the existing opening in the top of the keg. Then a length of old stainless steel flue liner to take the smoke up and out of the shed. I apologise if this is beginning to sound a bit like scrapheap challenge but needs must...
The barrel just needs an opening cut to turn it into a stove, then light up and enjoy. This is about as basic as it gets and I intend to replace the cut out section on hinges as a door, but refinements will have to wait and at the moment it does the job.
Project 'Instant Stove' was accomplished just in time as the first snow has started falling outside the shed. Another benefit is that the stove is already starting to tidy my greenwood work area as it devours the mess of bits and offcuts lying around.

3 comments:
Now THAT is what I call improvising. Good to see that there are chaps still around who know how scrounge and make do with what is at hand to meet an immediate need without pulling out the plastic credit card.
Good example of "More for Less".
Hey Mark! That looks really complicated, have a look at this super instant mini stove: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2487/4193777634_8191d1f80b_b.jpg I'm fitting a bit of gash flue liner today. I share your idea of drying the wood round the top.
Richard,
Having been an engineer (rocket scientist) in an earlier life I have a terrible tendency to overcomplicate things normally without increasing efficieny at all.
Your photo reminds me of my temporary furnace a couple of posts ago
http://woodlandantics.blogspot.com/2009/12/im-hooked.html
Though I could argue that my stove has fewer parts than yours! In the end you use what you have lying around.
cheers
Mark
Post a Comment