Tuesday, 9 June 2009

Polelathe - Bowl


I've been very keen to try turning another bowl on my lathe in the shed. At the bodgers ball I had the opportunity to try a lathe properly set up for bowls with tools and fresh sycamore and it gave me a better feel for bowl turning on the polelathe.



Recently I managed to find enough time in between other turning to make a start on the bowl using some sycamore. It's about a 9 inch bowl. The evening sunlight was low enough to light the lathe and bowl through the open front of the shed/



I couldn't finish it in one go so I packed it in shavings in a plastic bag to minimise drying. Today I managed to finish the bowl and separate it from the core.



I've learnt a lot from this bowl and finished with oil it looks good, but it's not perfect and I'd like to do even better before long. But before I do, I need to tweak my tools and the tool rest just a little bit. Special thanks to Paul Atkins for allowing me to make a mess of the blank on his lathe at the bodgers ball and with great patience pointing me in the right direction.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great and you can be justly proud of a fine achievement!

By the way, the first photo is not visible for me - just a space where the photo should be with the annoying little red cross - anything different to the other photos which as Donald Pleasance in The Great Escape would say....'I can see. I can see perfectly'

Woodland Antics said...

I can see. I can see perfectly! And I thought it was Punt and Dennis!

Thanks for letting me know - I've inadvertantly deleted the original as well as a copy on picasaweb without realising it - I can still see it for some unknown reason.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible

Seanhellman said...

Great bowl Mark, hope you take a load of photos at the scythe festival