Tuesday, 30 June 2009

Strawberry Vodkin





Despite emergency purchases of more hobnobs and creme fraiche we've still not got through our glut of strawberries fast enough. There are some spare, not enough to make jam unfortunately but enough to make a bottle of strawberry vodkin,




I created Vodkin last year when I ended up with the remnants of a bottle of both vodka and gin and enough raspberries for another bottle. The raspberry vodkin was much appreciated at the bodgers ball and so this year I am extending the idea to strawberry and loganberry.


We bottle the fruit with the spirit. Often filling upto a third of the bottle with fruit which is more than many recipes suggest and simply leave it for a suitably long period, normally at least 6 months and often a couple of years. Once ready, and I'm never quite sure if its the spirit that's ready or us, we pour it off the fruit and then add sugar to taste. You need enough sugar to balance the harshness of the spirit but it's important not to add so much that it becomes syrupy or hides the delicate taste of some of the fruit, particularly the summer ones like raspberry and strawberry.


I like to reuse old single malt bottles for these experiments, the corked top seems to be appropriate somehow. These two bottles will now be forgotten about until next years bodgers ball.


1 comment:

Seanhellman said...

Roll on the Bodgers Ball