Some time ago, back in January I think, I spent a day introducing polelathe turning to some of the practical habitat management course at Merrist Wood college. I always think it a success if the day generates enthusiasm for greenwood working and it's a real bonus if I can start people down the path of building their own shave horse and/or lathe. So it was with pleasure that I learnt a couple of weeks later that John had already built his shave horse and would soon finish the lathe.
He kindly sent me some photos of the shave horse and the lathe.
All that beautiful clean wood. Very nicely built John. They always look better than mine, but then I did raid a skip for my timber. But that lawn looks suspicously like it's never had a shaving on it in its life! That was some time ago now, so hopefully your borders and lawn, not to mention the carpets indoors, will be suitably mulched with wood shavings! I know from experience that this is an inevitable but not universally popular consequence of taking up polelathe turning.
I Look forward to catching up with you soon, and if you are coming to the Coppice Group open day, next weekend, bring it along.

2 comments:
Thats a very interesting shaving horse, how stable is it? I have never seen anything like it before.
Ummm. More like a stool with a clamp isn't it? I just love the variety that people bring to this work. I'm going to have to admit that I don't really know how well it works. I think the shavehorse photo was actually taken in about March and when I spoke to John he was muttering about having to work in the greenhouse so it might have been driven by a space thing. It certainly wouldm't suit me but if your legs are long enough it might be stable enough because you can keep your weight far enough back. Hopefully John will read this and come to my rescue.
Post a Comment